top of page
A Brief History of The Two Brewers
The Inn known as the 'Two Brewers' was built during the reign of Charles 2nd (1660 - 1685) in the year 1683. It was built by one Thomas Gimmit, a master builder of the city of Rochester, who, in 1682 purchased timbers from Rochester Castle, and built the Brewery that once stood in nearby Theobald Square (today La Providence French Hospital stands on the site) It was shortly after this, again using the timbers he had purchased from Rochester Castle, that he built the 'Two Brewers'. The first recorded keeper of the Inn which was also known as the 'Brewster', was one Thomas Preston, a beer retailer and cooper of the City of Rochester. Preston was also a warden who examined the casks and the ale within them by marking them in grades
with either one, two, or three crosses
This Photo is from around 1921, and shows the Grandfather of one of our customers. Our Customer's Great Grandfather was the landlord of the Pub for about 11 years
As the sign of the 'Two Brewers' depicts, it was a common sight in those days for one to observe two of the brewer's men carrying a barrel of beer slung between them on a pole, from the brewery to the Inn. It was also a custom for many years for the brewer's men to take breakfast at the Inn, which consisted then of a jug of ale, or a pitcher of wine, a chete loaf, or manchett loaf and several wiggs (bunns). In 1775 extensive works were carried out to the Inn, internally and externally. The present facade was erected during this period. Alterations were also carried out in the mid nineteenth century, it was during these alterations that an antique wooden peg tankard was found, said to have belonged to Thomas Preston.
The Inn today. gives out the same generous glow of warmth and hospitality that it has done for centuries, so stay, enjoy the ale and reflect on those bygone days.
Our History: Press
bottom of page